Acne and pimples are very common on the face and especially if you are going through puberty.
What exactly is acne?
What are acne and pimples? This may be a question you have pondered to yourself a time or two. Acne is a condition of the skin where bumps will show up. Sometimes these bumps are different in different people. Usually these bumps are either blackheads, whiteheads or pimples, otherwise known as cysts. Thank God that pimples only hang around through most people's teenage years.
The most common kind of acne breakout is called acne vulgaris. This name does sound terrible, but it isn't nearly as bad as it may sound.
The hair follicles in your skin contain sebaceous glands that produce oil. This oil is called sebum and it helps lubricate your skin and hair. Hormones can stimulate these sebaceous glands to make more sebum. When this happens, breakouts of pimples and acne can occur. When the wall of the pore opens it can let in dirt and bacteria and get clogged, this is a pimple.
If the pores then get clogged up but stay open, this is called a blackhead. If a clogged pore opens too deep in the skin it can cause what is called a nodule, and this is very painful.
Things to do to prevent acne:
* Wash and cleanse your face regularly and every night before bedtime
* Try your best to keep hair spray and hair gels away from your face. These products often contain oils.
* If you exercise, be sure to cleanse your face afterward. Sweat can cause you to have clogged pores and acne.
* Look for skin lotions and products that are noncomedogenic. This means that they won't clog your pores.
* Also some people benefit from over the counter acne medications to help with their breakouts.
* Many people have acne so seriously, that they have to visit a dermatologist for treatment. Sometimes you may need to have a prescription medication prescribed for severe cases.
Eating nutritiously and taking good care of your body can in turn help your skin to be healthy and radiant. If you take the time to do these important things for your skin, you will notice less breakouts and a clear and more vibrant complexion. Many people ignore their skin thinking it isn't important, but the epidermis is the largest organ in the body. Be sure to take good care of yours.